Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR)
The Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) program, developed by Dr. Jon Kabat-Zinn in 1979 at the UMass Medical School, has consistently shown reliable and reproducible physiological, psychological, and inter-relational benefits. Growing evidence shows that after the eight-week program, structural and functional changes that take place in participants’ brains allow for greater focus, problem solving, and empathy among other benefits in the participants.
This course is an educational program based on experiential learning in a safe environment. It includes:
- Guided instruction in mindfulness meditation practices
- Gentle stretching & mindful movement
- Group dialogue & discussions aimed at enhancing awareness in everyday life
- A small dose of multimedia to support learning
- Daily home practices
- Downloadable audio instructions & a home practice manual
- A day of retreat
- Ongoing support in private group in MindfulUniverse.com
Some of the benefits participants have reported with regular practice of the mindfulness exercises over the eight weeks are:
- Better focus
- Better management of stress and anxiety
- More compassion for self and others
- More clarity and creativity in decision making
- Better listening
- Self confidence
- An overall sense of well being
The Class Schedule
The MBSR class meets once a week for two and a half hours for eight weeks and includes a day of silence retreat after class six. Please visit the calendar to see the schedule for the upcoming classes.
Also, visit the calendar to check out the upcoming free introductory classes required for people interested in MBSR to participate in, in order to make an informed decision if this is the right time for you take this class.
We follow a flexible pricing model to make MBSR accessible to everyone, regardless of their ability to pay. In order to reserve a spot in the upcoming class, $350 is to be paid as a commitment fee. Students need to pay $200 upon registration. After you have experienced the benefits of this program, you are invited to make an additional payment based on your ability to pay and the benefits received. This is an inspired pricing model to make this program accessible to all and trusts in the generosity of people to pay what they can afford. The sliding scale for MBSR classes taught at other locations in the Pioneer Valley is from $350 to $725.