Mindfulness 2.0: Beyond Stress Reduction, Living a Good Life
Mindfulness 2.0 is a secular program for people who have taken an 8-week Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction class or an equivalent program and would like to deepen their mindfulness practice. In MBSR the focus was on awareness of three foundations – thoughts, body, and emotions. In 2.0 we will expand our awareness to the hindrances to living mindfully and eight mindfulness skills to live a fulfilling life. In addition to awareness, we will introduce wisdom – right understanding and intentions – and skillful habits as a way to integrate our mindfulness practice into real life interactions. This is where the rubber meets the road – how is your practice changing who you are in your actions and interactions?
Borrowing from science and traditional mindfulness texts, this 8-week program will cultivate 8 skills necessary for practicing mindfulness on the mat and in life:
- Appreciative joy
- Inner calm
Each week will focus on one skill – what it means, why it’s important, challenges to practicing that skill, mindfulness practices and life practices to cultivate each skill.
Some of these skills, such as, awareness, curiosity, compassion and concentration, were covered in the MBSR program and we will focus on each in more depth. Further, we will explora additional skills, such as, energy, appreciative joy, inner calm, and equanimity that are needed to practice mindfulness and create a meaningful life.
The program will include:
- Meeting once a week for 2.5 hours
- Silence retreat (a different format from the MBSR program)
- Handout (based on the book on Mindfulness 2.0 that I am working on)
- Guided meditations for each skill
Some of the benefits of taking this program:
- Build each of the 8 mindfulness skills individually
- Better able to integrate mindfulness into life
- Bring clarity to decision making
- More energy and enthusiasm in general
- Deal with challenges with more equanimity and understanding of the bigger picture
- Deeper understanding of mindfulness from scientific and traditional Buddhist perspective.
The pricing is the same as for the 8-week MBSR class and you can read about it here.
Go To The Limits Of Your Longing By Rainer Maria Rilke
God speaks to each of us as he makes us,
then walks with us silently out of the night.
These are the words we dimly hear:
You, sent out beyond your recall,
go to the limits of your longing.
Flare up like a flame
and make big shadows I can move in.
Let everything happen to you: beauty and terror.
Just keep going. No feeling is final.
Don’t let yourself lose me.
Nearby is the country they call life.
You will know it by its seriousness.
Give me your hand.
Book of Hours, I 59